Valentine’s Day is one of those difficult non-holidays created to make everyone feel bad; no matter where you are in your love-life there is always room for gift conundrums. What do I get them? How much do I spend? Or if you’re currently single and loving life you’re made to feel bad about the fact that you don’t have someone sending you an extortionately overpriced bouquet of roses.
In our opinion whether you’re loved up or loving being a free agent there are never enough days that celebrate good old fashioned love. We think Valentine’s should be reclaimed for the masses; it should be for everyone; whether you want to treat your best friend, your boyfriend or even yourself – we say go ahead!
So to make this V day extra special we’ve put together a couple of ideas for this year’s gifts. Hopefully it will help you navigate the minefield that is valentines gifting. There is an edit of gifts for him, gifts for her and most importantly; gifts for you!
- Royal Blue and Yellow King Cashmere Soccer Scarf – Savile-rogue.com– If like most guys on the planet the man in your life is a big fan of soccer then something special from Saville Rogue might be right up his street. Classic football scarves are given a luxurious make-over and woven out of 100% cashmere wool. With around 30 different styles you’ll be sure to find your fella’s team.
- Acne Card Holder – New Black - £55 – Acnestudios.com– Something smart and stylish is always a good option when giving as it implies that you think of that person in that way. An Acne cardholder is an ideal gift for any man; it’s effortlessly cool and will never go out of style.
- Givenchy Collage Print T-shirt - £336 – Farfetch.com– If you’re looking to surprise someone who has a bit of a thing for fashion then a new season tee from their favourite designer is guaranteed to get you in their good books. We absolutely love this printed style from Givenchy.
- New Button Cufflinks – Viviennewestwood.co.uk– Whether he works in a bank or just likes to dress dapper then a fashion forward pair of cufflinks are just the right amount of attention to detail for any man. Choose something personal and opt for a monogrammed pair or something fun and a little tongue in cheek for those who don’t take themselves too seriously.
- Gig Tickets – Some say the way to any man’s heart is through his stomach but we disagree, we think its music. For a really personal gift why not book you and him two tickets to see his favourite band for a gift that you’ll both enjoy (as long as you have the same taste in music!)
- Facehunter Book - £15 – Topshop.com– For a gift that will last past Valentine’s Day a coffee table book is a brilliant shout. There are some really great options out there at the moment but we especially like the Face Hunter books; ideal for style inspiration for when you’re at a bit of a loss over what to wear.
- Lace Lingerie Plunge Bra – Fleurofengland.com– Pretty underwear is almost always appreciated by everyone; the giver and receiver of the gift. Just make sure that you get the right size otherwise you could accidentally cause offence.
- Jo Malone London Candle Collection - £61 – Nordstrom.com – Set a romantic mood with these amazing Jo Malone candles available from Nordstrom. A great gift for those who appreciate the finer things in life but wouldn’t usually spend too much on themselves.
- Miss Dior Blooming Bouquet - £46 – Macys.com– No girl would be upset with the offering of a signature scent. Treat that someone special to a bottle of their favourite perfume for some serious brownie points.
- Box of Laduree Macaroons – Laduree.com– Forget the Celebrations or Ferrero Rocher; this Valentine’s it’s all about a box of luxurious macaroons from Laduree to really win over a girl’s heart.
- Subscription to Vogue - £15 – Magazines.Whsmith.co.uk– For a gift that keeps on giving month after month, why not treat yourself to a subscription to your favourite magazine?
- Maryana Textured Pink Cotton Throw - £50 – Habitat.co.uk– Add a splash of colour to your bedroom with this sumptuous cotton throw from Habitat, great for keeping you warm in the winter months.
- Leuchtturm Medium Notebook – Mappamundi.co.uk– Stay organised in 2014 with a cool bright pink notebook, the perfect size to fit in your handbag so you never lose it.
- Comme Des Garcons Super Fluro Two Tone Leather Pouch - £85 – Net-a-porter.com– Every girl needs a signature statement clutch and we’re head over heels for this chic fluro pouch from Comme Des Garcons!
- Kenzo Brenda Neoprene Tiger Loafer - £250 – Forzieri.com– If you’re feeling especially generous this Valentines then why not slip your feet into this fabulous pair of Kenzo loafers, after all you deserve them!
Written by Lucinda Bounsall at